swim, bike, run, repeat.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

It's nice to be fast(ish) at something.

I will never claim to be a fast runner. Nor will I claim to be a fast cyclist. But, I will admit to being a (somewhat) fast swimmer. Not masters team, former collegiate (hi, Jennifer!) swimmer fast, but non-professional triathlete swimmer fast.

When I picked up swimming after the most recent hiatus, my 100 meter time was hanging out just a hair under 2 minutes. Last night, I had 10x100 meters on 15 seconds rest. I went out a little gung-ho and did the first in 1:35 (and I don't do flip turns. Flip turns and I have issues.). I realized that I probably wouldn't be able to keep that up, so I relaxed a little, but still managed to hit 1:40 on all the rest, give or take a second.

Now, I'm not a pretty swimmer. My limbs are stumpy (hell, my body is stumpy), and my kick is all but useless. But in the water, I can move. And the past few months, I've even started breathing on both sides, something I haven't done since I was nine. (Note: this was about the same time that I developed chronic ear infections, especially in my left ear. So, that ear and I made a deal - if I agreed not to turn that ear up towards the ceiling, it would agree not to cause my horrible, horrible pain. I considered it a fair trade. Now I wear earplugs.)

I must admit, it feels good to be fast at something. I will never be a super fast runner - I just don't have the drive to run that fast all the time. And on the bike, well, let's just say it's getting better, but I still have a long way to go. But put ae in the water, and well, I'll try not to kick you as I pass.

1 comment:

orthogirl said...

You go! Swim fast!